UN chemical weapons inspectors to return to Syria soon
Stockholm: UN chemical weapons inspectors will return to Syria soon to investigate various accusations against the regime and opposition, their chief said today.
"Yes we will be returning to Syria. Our planning isn`t finished yet, so I can`t say when we will be going, but it will be soon," UN chief inspector Aake Sellstroem told a news agency.
His team, which went to Syria last month, concluded in a report presented on September 16 that banned chemical weapons were used on a wide scale in the Syrian civil war.\
There was clear evidence sarin gas killed hundreds of people in an attack on Ghouta near Damascus on August 21, the report said.
"The report that was presented was an interim report," Sellstroem said.
"There have been other accusations presented to the UN secretary general, dating back to March, against both sides" in the conflict, he said.
There were 13 or 14 accusations that "have to be investigated", he added.
A UN-mandated independent commission of inquiry into rights violations in the Syrian conflict said on Monday it was investigating 14 alleged chemical weapons attacks in Syria.
Sellstroem`s team went to Damascus on August 18 to investigate claims that chemical weapons were used at Khan al-Asal, near Aleppo, on March 19 and at two other sites.
The experts were in Damascus when the attack on opposition-held Ghouta was staged on August 21. The team was immediately ordered to concentrate on the Ghouta attack, and was expected to return later to investigate the other sites.
The report by the UN chemical weapons experts did not say who used the sarin gas, though the Syrian opposition and its allies have blamed President Bashar al-Assad`s troops.
Sellstroem said that in the next trip, inspectors would not be addressing the question of who was responsible for the August 21 gas attack, in which the United States claims more than 1,400 people died.
"That`s not our assignment," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video