UN chemical weapons inspectors to return to Syria soon
Stockholm: UN chemical weapons inspectors will return to Syria soon to investigate various accusations against the regime and opposition, their chief said today.
"Yes we will be returning to Syria. Our planning isn`t finished yet, so I can`t say when we will be going, but it will be soon," UN chief inspector Aake Sellstroem told a news agency.
His team, which went to Syria last month, concluded in a report presented on September 16 that banned chemical weapons were used on a wide scale in the Syrian civil war.\
There was clear evidence sarin gas killed hundreds of people in an attack on Ghouta near Damascus on August 21, the report said.
"The report that was presented was an interim report," Sellstroem said.
"There have been other accusations presented to the UN secretary general, dating back to March, against both sides" in the conflict, he said.
There were 13 or 14 accusations that "have to be investigated", he added.
A UN-mandated independent commission of inquiry into rights violations in the Syrian conflict said on Monday it was investigating 14 alleged chemical weapons attacks in Syria.
Sellstroem`s team went to Damascus on August 18 to investigate claims that chemical weapons were used at Khan al-Asal, near Aleppo, on March 19 and at two other sites.
The experts were in Damascus when the attack on opposition-held Ghouta was staged on August 21. The team was immediately ordered to concentrate on the Ghouta attack, and was expected to return later to investigate the other sites.
The report by the UN chemical weapons experts did not say who used the sarin gas, though the Syrian opposition and its allies have blamed President Bashar al-Assad`s troops.
Sellstroem said that in the next trip, inspectors would not be addressing the question of who was responsible for the August 21 gas attack, in which the United States claims more than 1,400 people died.
"That`s not our assignment," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed