UN chief Ban Ki-moon to visit Gaza Strip
United Nations: Slamming the Israel`s
policy of continued blockade of Gaza Strip, UN chief Ban
Ki-moon on Wednesday said that he will go to that part of the
Palestinian territory to assess the situation for himself.
"When I visit Israel and the Occupied Territories
immediately after the Quartet meeting, I will go to Gaza so
that I can assess the situation for myself," Ban said.
"It is time for a change of direction," he said.
Ban condemned Israel`s policies and said these
policies were destroying hopes of the Palestinian people.
"The Israeli policy of closure destroys hope -- hope
of a better life for all people, hope for recovery from the
destruction and pain of the recent war," Ban said.
"As policy, it is counterproductive. It undercuts
moderates and empowers extremists. It destroys legitimate
commerce and encourages smuggling. It blocks the road to a
peaceful future for both sides in this conflict," he added.
Senior UN official on humanitarian affairs John Holmes
has described the continuing blockade of Gaza as "frustrating"
and called on Israel to allow essential goods to reach the
Palestinians so they can lead a "normal life."
Ban will be meeting the Quartet, which is the United
States, Russia, the European Union and the United Nations, on
March 19 in Moscow to discuss the situation.
"I will work with our partners and the two sides to
find a way to resume talks for a just resolution of this
conflict," he said. "I will also have separate bilateral talks
with the Russian leadership."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune