UN chief calls Chinese President Xi Jinping
United Nations: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called Xi Jinping to congratulate him on his election as new Chinese President and exuded confidence that cooperation between China and the world body would continue to grow.
"The Secretary-General said he was confident that cooperation between China and the United Nations would continue to grow because China`s path of peaceful development had many common elements with his own agenda on durable peace, conflict prevention, sustainable development and human rights for all," a UN statement said.
Ban congratulated Xi on his recent election and expressed his gratitude for China`s strong support for the United Nations.
The Secretary-General said he was very concerned about mounting tensions on the Korean peninsula.
He commended China`s constructive role in the Security Council in dealing with matters relating to the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea.
Ban said he counted on China`s continued leadership on this matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How to deactivate WhatsApp if your mobile is stolen or lost
- WATCH: Axar Patel performs Champion dance after dismissing Dwayne Bravo for 0
- Australian state Parliament evacuated over suspicious package
- Stop spending money on festivities; focus on education, healthcare: RSS to temples
- Sensex tanks over 200 points on rout in Japan; Nifty below 7,800-mark