UN chief calls Chinese President Xi Jinping
United Nations: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called Xi Jinping to congratulate him on his election as new Chinese President and exuded confidence that cooperation between China and the world body would continue to grow.
"The Secretary-General said he was confident that cooperation between China and the United Nations would continue to grow because China`s path of peaceful development had many common elements with his own agenda on durable peace, conflict prevention, sustainable development and human rights for all," a UN statement said.
Ban congratulated Xi on his recent election and expressed his gratitude for China`s strong support for the United Nations.
The Secretary-General said he was very concerned about mounting tensions on the Korean peninsula.
He commended China`s constructive role in the Security Council in dealing with matters relating to the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea.
Ban said he counted on China`s continued leadership on this matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez