UN chief calls Chinese President Xi Jinping
United Nations: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called Xi Jinping to congratulate him on his election as new Chinese President and exuded confidence that cooperation between China and the world body would continue to grow.
"The Secretary-General said he was confident that cooperation between China and the United Nations would continue to grow because China`s path of peaceful development had many common elements with his own agenda on durable peace, conflict prevention, sustainable development and human rights for all," a UN statement said.
Ban congratulated Xi on his recent election and expressed his gratitude for China`s strong support for the United Nations.
The Secretary-General said he was very concerned about mounting tensions on the Korean peninsula.
He commended China`s constructive role in the Security Council in dealing with matters relating to the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea.
Ban said he counted on China`s continued leadership on this matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends