UN chief calls for arms embargo on Syria
New York: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday called on the Security Council to impose an arms embargo on Syria and urged neighboring countries to stop the flow of weapons across the border.
He delivered the remarks in a keynote address on Syria`s devastating civil war, which has paralyzed the Security Council and wider international community, preventing a united response.
"It is essential to stem the flow of arms pouring into the country," said Ban in a lecture at the Asia Society in New York.
"It is irresponsible for foreign powers and groups to give continued military support to parties in Syria that are committing atrocities," he added.
"I urge the Security Council to impose an arms embargo. If divisions in the Council continue to prevent such a step, I urge countries to do so individually.
"Syria`s neighbours should enforce a firm prohibition on the use of their land borders and airspace for arms flows and smuggling into Syria," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!