UN chief calls for arms embargo on Syria
New York: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday called on the Security Council to impose an arms embargo on Syria and urged neighboring countries to stop the flow of weapons across the border.
He delivered the remarks in a keynote address on Syria`s devastating civil war, which has paralyzed the Security Council and wider international community, preventing a united response.
"It is essential to stem the flow of arms pouring into the country," said Ban in a lecture at the Asia Society in New York.
"It is irresponsible for foreign powers and groups to give continued military support to parties in Syria that are committing atrocities," he added.
"I urge the Security Council to impose an arms embargo. If divisions in the Council continue to prevent such a step, I urge countries to do so individually.
"Syria`s neighbours should enforce a firm prohibition on the use of their land borders and airspace for arms flows and smuggling into Syria," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon