UN chief calls for arms embargo on Syria
New York: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday called on the Security Council to impose an arms embargo on Syria and urged neighboring countries to stop the flow of weapons across the border.
He delivered the remarks in a keynote address on Syria`s devastating civil war, which has paralyzed the Security Council and wider international community, preventing a united response.
"It is essential to stem the flow of arms pouring into the country," said Ban in a lecture at the Asia Society in New York.
"It is irresponsible for foreign powers and groups to give continued military support to parties in Syria that are committing atrocities," he added.
"I urge the Security Council to impose an arms embargo. If divisions in the Council continue to prevent such a step, I urge countries to do so individually.
"Syria`s neighbours should enforce a firm prohibition on the use of their land borders and airspace for arms flows and smuggling into Syria," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Pakistan's Hafiz Saeed managed the ISIS attack in Kabul that killed 80 people?
- The list of top 10 most valuable football clubs is out – See here!
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why
- Kusal Mendis inspires Sri Lanka to a 196-run lead over Australia on a topsy-turvy 3rd day