UN chief calls for arms embargo on Syria
New York: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday called on the Security Council to impose an arms embargo on Syria and urged neighboring countries to stop the flow of weapons across the border.
He delivered the remarks in a keynote address on Syria`s devastating civil war, which has paralyzed the Security Council and wider international community, preventing a united response.
"It is essential to stem the flow of arms pouring into the country," said Ban in a lecture at the Asia Society in New York.
"It is irresponsible for foreign powers and groups to give continued military support to parties in Syria that are committing atrocities," he added.
"I urge the Security Council to impose an arms embargo. If divisions in the Council continue to prevent such a step, I urge countries to do so individually.
"Syria`s neighbours should enforce a firm prohibition on the use of their land borders and airspace for arms flows and smuggling into Syria," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS