UN chief calls for arms embargo on Syria
New York: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday called on the Security Council to impose an arms embargo on Syria and urged neighboring countries to stop the flow of weapons across the border.
He delivered the remarks in a keynote address on Syria`s devastating civil war, which has paralyzed the Security Council and wider international community, preventing a united response.
"It is essential to stem the flow of arms pouring into the country," said Ban in a lecture at the Asia Society in New York.
"It is irresponsible for foreign powers and groups to give continued military support to parties in Syria that are committing atrocities," he added.
"I urge the Security Council to impose an arms embargo. If divisions in the Council continue to prevent such a step, I urge countries to do so individually.
"Syria`s neighbours should enforce a firm prohibition on the use of their land borders and airspace for arms flows and smuggling into Syria," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: MS Dhoni admits execution of his last ball dismissal wrong
- Belgian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ready for slog from back of the field
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)