UN chief calls on North Korea to resume talks
Moscow: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Sunday said he was concerned over North Korea`s latest short-range missile launches and called on Pyongyang to return to the six-party talks on its controversial nuclear programme.
The communist regime broke off talks with South Korea, China, the US, Japan and Russia on its nuclear programme in 2009, after the UN Security Council passed a resolution condemning its missile tests.
"I hope North Korea will refrain from further such acts," Ban said.
He added that it was time for Pyongyang to return to dialogue and ease tensions on the Korean peninsula and that the UN was ready to help.
Ban also said he expected Russia to continue using its channels of communication to help reduce tensions around North Korea and step up dialogue with Pyongyang.
Tensions rose on the Korean Peninsula in December after North Korea tested a Taepodong 2 missile and again in February when it carried out its third nuclear test.
The UN hit back with sanctions, and the start of joint military drills between South Korea and the US in March further irritated the North, which threatened to carry out a nuclear attack on the US mainland, as well as on US forces in the region.
North Korea has been subjected to several rounds of UN Security Council sanctions since it declared itself a nuclear power in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today