UN chief congratulates EU on Nobel Peace Prize win
New York: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Friday congratulated the European Union (EU) on winning the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize.
"On behalf of the entire UN family, I extend our sincere congratulations to the European Union on its receipt of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize," Xinhua quoted Ban as saying in a statement.
"Today, an indispensable partner to the UN has been given a richly-deserved recognition of its accomplishments and its importance in Europe and around the world," the statement said.
The EU was awarded the Nobel Prize for advancing "peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe", Thorbjoen Jagland, chairman of the Norweigian Nobel Committee, said in Oslo Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test