UN chief congratulates EU on Nobel Peace Prize win
New York: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Friday congratulated the European Union (EU) on winning the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize.
"On behalf of the entire UN family, I extend our sincere congratulations to the European Union on its receipt of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize," Xinhua quoted Ban as saying in a statement.
"Today, an indispensable partner to the UN has been given a richly-deserved recognition of its accomplishments and its importance in Europe and around the world," the statement said.
The EU was awarded the Nobel Prize for advancing "peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe", Thorbjoen Jagland, chairman of the Norweigian Nobel Committee, said in Oslo Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’