UN chief hails G8 leaders` understanding on Syria
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon Tuesday welcomed the understanding reached on Syria by leaders of the Group of Eight (G-8) industrial nations.
Ban welcomed the commitment to bring the Syrian sides to the negotiating table, saying that he stands ready to convene the Geneva Conference on Syria as soon as possible to help the Syrian sides reach "a comprehensive agreement based on the Geneva communique of 30 June 2012", reported Xinhua citing his spokesperson.
The UN chief highlighted that the announcement of additional contributions of $1.5 billion in humanitarian aid "is very welcome and will be critical in saving the lives of Syrians."
He also welcomed the call of the G8 for all parties to the conflict to allow access to the UN Mission to Investigate Allegations of the Use of Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic.
This year`s G8 Heads of State Summit, which opened Monday, was held at Lough Erne, Northern Ireland, with the focus on Syria crisis and economic issues.
The communique was agreed upon by the leaders at the final day of the G8 Summit Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli