UN chief hails G8 leaders` understanding on Syria
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon Tuesday welcomed the understanding reached on Syria by leaders of the Group of Eight (G-8) industrial nations.
Ban welcomed the commitment to bring the Syrian sides to the negotiating table, saying that he stands ready to convene the Geneva Conference on Syria as soon as possible to help the Syrian sides reach "a comprehensive agreement based on the Geneva communique of 30 June 2012", reported Xinhua citing his spokesperson.
The UN chief highlighted that the announcement of additional contributions of $1.5 billion in humanitarian aid "is very welcome and will be critical in saving the lives of Syrians."
He also welcomed the call of the G8 for all parties to the conflict to allow access to the UN Mission to Investigate Allegations of the Use of Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic.
This year`s G8 Heads of State Summit, which opened Monday, was held at Lough Erne, Northern Ireland, with the focus on Syria crisis and economic issues.
The communique was agreed upon by the leaders at the final day of the G8 Summit Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!