UN chief hails G8 leaders` understanding on Syria
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon Tuesday welcomed the understanding reached on Syria by leaders of the Group of Eight (G-8) industrial nations.
Ban welcomed the commitment to bring the Syrian sides to the negotiating table, saying that he stands ready to convene the Geneva Conference on Syria as soon as possible to help the Syrian sides reach "a comprehensive agreement based on the Geneva communique of 30 June 2012", reported Xinhua citing his spokesperson.
The UN chief highlighted that the announcement of additional contributions of $1.5 billion in humanitarian aid "is very welcome and will be critical in saving the lives of Syrians."
He also welcomed the call of the G8 for all parties to the conflict to allow access to the UN Mission to Investigate Allegations of the Use of Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic.
This year`s G8 Heads of State Summit, which opened Monday, was held at Lough Erne, Northern Ireland, with the focus on Syria crisis and economic issues.
The communique was agreed upon by the leaders at the final day of the G8 Summit Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video