UN chief hails joint statement on peace in Myanmar
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed a joint statement issued by peace negotiators of the Myanmar government and the Kachin Independence Organization (KIO), urging them to "continue their efforts towards genuine and sustainable peace in Kachin".
"The secretary-general welcomes the joint statement issued by Myanmar`s Peacemaking Committee and the delegation of the Kachin Independence Organization in Ruili, China, wherein they agreed to work on an overall framework for de-escalation of the violent conflict in Kachin and for monitoring such de-escalation," said a statement issued Wednesday by Ban`s spokesman.
The representatives of the Myanmar government and KIO resumed peace talks in China`s border town of Ruili Monday, 17 days after the government announced unilateral ceasefire with KIA, the army of KIO, Jan 18 to prepare for a political dialogue, saying that the government troops will stop military offensive against the area of Lajayan starting Jan 19, reported Xinhua.
Ever since June 2011, the government forces and the KIA had been continuously fighting until the present resumption of talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof