UN Chief in Nagasaki calls for nuclear disarmament
Nagasaki: UN Secretary-General Ban
Ki-moon called for the abolishment of nuclear weapons on Thursday
during a visit to Nagasaki, one of two Japanese cities
devastated by US atomic bombs in the closing days of World War
Ban toured the Atomic Bomb Museum and met with six
survivors during his visit, the first by a UN chief to
Nagasaki. More than 70,000 people were killed when the US
bombed the southern Japanese city on August 9, 1945.
"My visit here has strengthened my conviction that these
weapons must be outlawed, either by a nuclear weapons
convention or by a framework of separate mutually reinforcing
instruments," Ban said in a speech at Nagasaki`s Urakami
The cathedral, just 2,000 feet (600 metres) from the
bomb`s hypocenter, was completely destroyed and was rebuilt
along with much of the city after the war.
Ban said nations must work together to create a world
free from nuclear weapons.
The only way to ensure that such weapons will never again
be used is to eliminate them all, he said ",there must be no
place in our world for such indiscriminate weapons".
Ban is to visit Hiroshima tomorrow to attend the 65th
anniversary of the US atomic bombing of that city on August 6,
1945. About 140,000 people were killed or died within months
in Hiroshima. Japan surrendered on August 15, ending World War
US Ambassador John Roos will also attend the ceremony in
Hiroshima, becoming the first representative sent by
Washington to the annual commemoration.
Nuclear powers France and Britain will also send
representatives to the Hiroshima ceremony for the first time.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- LG Electronics posts 415% increase in Q1 profit
- Apple to open its stores in India as govt panel waves 30% local sourcing condition
- Film with Alia Bhatt not typical hero-heroine one: Shah Rukh Khan
- IPL 9: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders – Probably playing XIs; players to watch out for
- Amazing! Village in China painted with 3D colours to attract tourists; See PICS