UN chief reaffirms pledge to build better world
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Wednesday said the world is going through a complex situation in which the United Nations has to keep up its efforts to tackle global problems and build a better world.
"We are living through a period of profound turmoil, transition and transformation. Insecurity, inequality and intolerance are spreading. Global and national institutions are being put to the test," Ban said in a message commemorating United Nations Day, which falls on Oct 24, reported Xinhua.
"With so much at stake, the United Nations must keep pace across the spectrum of its activities -- peace, development, human rights, the rule of law, the empowerment of the world`s women and youth," he said.
In his message, the UN chief pointed out that there has been important progress on many fronts but "now is the time to raise our collective ambitions".
With the 2015 deadline for the Millennium Development Goals fast approaching, he said, the international community must intensify its efforts to reach all of these lifesaving targets, prepare a bold and practical post-2015 development agenda, and continue to combat intolerance, save people caught in conflicts and establish lasting peace.
Ban noted that the UN is not just a meeting place for diplomats but people on the ground helping to keep peace, distributing medicines, providing relief aid to refugees or helping to deliver justice.
The secretary-general also stressed that the UN can only succeed with the support of its partners, including NGOs, CEOs, scientists and scholars as well as philanthropists and community leaders.
However, "each of us, in our own way, can do something," he said. "Let us reaffirm our individual commitment and our collective resolve to live up to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and build a better world for all."
UN Day marks the anniversary of the entry into force in 1945 of the UN Charter. With the ratification of this founding document by the majority of its signatories, including the five permanent members of the Security Council, the United Nations officially came into being. The first UN Day was observed in 1948.
This year`s UN Day is also being observed with a concert in the UN General Assembly Hall featuring UN Messenger of Peace Stevie Wonder performing with special guests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM