UN chief reiterates full support for new Syria envoy
New York: Days ahead of the new UN-Arab League joint special representative for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, takes charge, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon has reiterated his support him.
Brahimi is scheduled to assume his new position on September 01.
The UN chief on Friday met Brahimi, a former Algerian foreign minister, at the UN Headquarters in New York.
Brahimi was appointed last week to replace Kofi Annan, who would step down at the end of this month as the international mediator on the 18-month old Syrian crisis, Xinhua reported.
The UN chief said that Brahimi could count on the full backing of the international community when he assumes his position.
"You have all the respect and full support of the international community," Ban told the new special envoy. "It is crucially important that the Security Council and all the United Nations systems support your role."
Starting next month, Brahimi will be fully engaged in good offices on Syria on behalf of the UN and the Arab League. Earlier this week, the UN said that Brahimi would be based in New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested