UN chief says Syria chemical attackers should be sanctioned
United Nations: UN chief Ban Ki-moon called on the international community to sanction those responsible for Syrian chemical weapons attacks documented in a newly released report.
The UN report, issued Thursday, concluded that such banned arms were used at least five times before Damascus agreed to dismantle its arsenal.
"I deplore in the strongest possible terms the use of chemical weapons in Syria, which is an offence against the universal values of humankind," Ban told the United Nations General Assembly yesterday.
The report did not, however, lay blame for the attacks, as the inspectors` mandate did not allow them to designate a responsible party.
"The international community has a moral and political responsibility to hold accountable those responsible to deter further incidents and ensure that chemical weapons can never reemerge as an instrument of warfare," Ban said.
The UN secretary general said he was "encouraged" by progress made in dismantling Syria`s chemical arsenal.
"The international community continues to expect the Syrian Arab Republic will implement faithfully its obligations to complete the elimination by the first half of 2014," he said.
Under an international agreement brokered to avoid US military strikes on the Damascus regime -- which resulted in a landmark Security Council resolution -- Syria`s most dangerous chemical weapons have to be out of the country by a December 31 deadline and destroyed by June 30, 2014.
Swedish expert Ake Sellstrom, who led the UN investigation team that compiled the report, reminded reporters that the mandate did not allow him to point any fingers.
"These facts could be used by others who have the mandate ... I don`t have information that could stand in court," he said.
Attributing the attacks "requires more efforts and resources" such as those of forensic investigators, Sellstrom said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre