UN chief says Ukraine `could spin out of control`
United Nations: United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is warning that the situation in eastern Ukraine "could quickly spin out of control."
A statement released today by the office of his spokesman says Ban is "deeply concerned" about the continued violence in the region, and it stresses that "military action must be avoided at all costs."
The comments came shortly after Ukrainian forces launched an operation to drive pro-Russia insurgents out of occupied buildings in the region, prompting new threats from Russian President Vladimir Putin.
The operation killed at least two pro-Russia militants. Russia`s defence minister has announced new military exercises for troops massed near Ukraine`s border.
"The stakes are now so high," the UN statement says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown