UN chief says Ukraine `could spin out of control`
United Nations: United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is warning that the situation in eastern Ukraine "could quickly spin out of control."
A statement released today by the office of his spokesman says Ban is "deeply concerned" about the continued violence in the region, and it stresses that "military action must be avoided at all costs."
The comments came shortly after Ukrainian forces launched an operation to drive pro-Russia insurgents out of occupied buildings in the region, prompting new threats from Russian President Vladimir Putin.
The operation killed at least two pro-Russia militants. Russia`s defence minister has announced new military exercises for troops massed near Ukraine`s border.
"The stakes are now so high," the UN statement says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP