UN chief slams coup in Central African Republic
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the rebels` seizure of state power in the Central African Republic (CAR) and called for earliest restoration of the constitutional order.
Rebels seized control of Central African Republic`s capital Bangui after President Francois Bozize fled to Cameroon, reports said Sunday.
"The secretary-general condemns the unconstitutional seizure of power that took place in the Central African Republic (CAR) on 24 March 2013 and calls for the swift restoration of constitutional order," Xinhua cited a UN statement as saying late Sunday.
The power seizure is the most significant step yet for the rebellion by guerrillas who call themselves "Seleka", meaning alliance in the Sango language.
Seleka launched an insurgency Dec 10, 2012, accusing Bozize of failing to implement a series of peace accords signed in Libreville since 2007.
It launched a lightening blitz this week after giving the government a deadline to honour a peace deal signed in January. It required release of political prisoners, integrating rebels into the national army and pulling out South African and Ugandan troops deployed in the country to protect the Bangui-based government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest