UN chief urges Iran not to block Strait of Hormuz
New York: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has urged Iran not to block the Strait of Hormuz, saying it is important for international trade and commerce.
Ban, who spoke at his first press conference on Wednesday since he began his second five-year term on January 01, said: "This is a very important area for international trade and commerce."
"The free passage of any ships in open seas should be respected and protected in accordance with relevant provisions of the Law of the Sea," Xinhua quoted him as saying.
Twenty percent of the world`s annual oil shipments pass through the Strait.
Iran had threatened to close the Strait after the West decided to punish Tehran with more sanctions over its controversial nuclear program.
Last Monday, the foreign ministers of the European Union banned imports of oil from that country. It will take effect from July 01.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you