UN chief urges respect for sovereignty of Ukraine
Kiev: United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today said the Ukrainian crisis could only be resolved through a diplomatic solution that respected the territorial integrity of the splintered ex-Soviet state.
Ban arrived in Ukraine a day after holding talks in Moscow with Russian President Vladimir Putin during which he expressed his deep concern over the worst East-West crisis since the Cold War.
"This current crisis can only be resolved through peaceful diplomatic solutions based on the principle of the United Nations Charter, including respect for the sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity of Ukraine," Ban said after talks with Ukrainian acting president Oleksandr Turchynov.
The UN chief said he had come to Kiev "with a very heavy heart". "These are some of the most dramatic and serious times in the history of Ukraine," he said.
Ban added that the Crimean peninsula`s absorption by Russia was becoming "a regional and even a global issue" that was diverting world leaders` attention away from other raging crisis such as the war in the Syria.
Turchynov for his part said Ukraine would never recognise the loss of its Black Sea peninsula to Russia. "Ukraine will never accept the occupation of its territory... And will do its best to return Crimea," the acting president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof