UN chief voices concern at Israeli air strikes on Syria
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has voiced "grave concern" at reported Israeli air strikes on Syria, and called on all sides to "exercise maximum calm and restraint".
"The secretary-general expresses grave concern over reports of air strikes in Syria by the Israeli Air Force," Xinhua quoted a statement issued by Ban`s spokesman as saying.
"At this time, the United Nations does not have details of the reported incidents," the statement said. "Nor is the United Nations in a position to independently verify what has occurred," it added.
Media reports said Syria has deployed missile defence batteries towards Israel in response to the Israeli attack that targeted a Syrian army facility in the capital city of Damascus Sunday.
Syria`s state media accused Israel of trying to give a boost to the Syrian rebels. The Israeli government has so far made no official comment on the reported attack.
The UN statement added: "The secretary-general calls on all sides to exercise maximum calm and restraint, and to act with a sense of responsibility to prevent an escalation of what is already a devastating and highly dangerous conflict."
"The secretary-general urges respect for national sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries in the region, and adherence to all relevant Security Council resolutions," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway