UN chief voices concern at Israeli air strikes on Syria
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has voiced "grave concern" at reported Israeli air strikes on Syria, and called on all sides to "exercise maximum calm and restraint".
"The secretary-general expresses grave concern over reports of air strikes in Syria by the Israeli Air Force," Xinhua quoted a statement issued by Ban`s spokesman as saying.
"At this time, the United Nations does not have details of the reported incidents," the statement said. "Nor is the United Nations in a position to independently verify what has occurred," it added.
Media reports said Syria has deployed missile defence batteries towards Israel in response to the Israeli attack that targeted a Syrian army facility in the capital city of Damascus Sunday.
Syria`s state media accused Israel of trying to give a boost to the Syrian rebels. The Israeli government has so far made no official comment on the reported attack.
The UN statement added: "The secretary-general calls on all sides to exercise maximum calm and restraint, and to act with a sense of responsibility to prevent an escalation of what is already a devastating and highly dangerous conflict."
"The secretary-general urges respect for national sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries in the region, and adherence to all relevant Security Council resolutions," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar