UN chief warns against hasty decisions in Ukraine
United Nations: Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is urging Russia and Ukraine to avoid provocation and hasty decisions in the coming days, warning that there is "a great risk of dangerous, downward spiral."
The UN chief said no "hasty measures" should be taken following Sunday`s referendum on whether Crimea should become part of Russia that "may impact the sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity of Ukraine."
"It is clear that we are at the crossroads," Ban said.
He told reporters he spoke earlier today with Russian President Vladimir Putin and discussed "the need to work toward a durable and fair political solution.
Ban met late yesterday with Ukraine`s Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk and said they discussed "the need for all concerned to respect the law and for calm in an increasing complex and threatening situation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown