UN chief warns of more Syrian spillover
New York: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is alarmed at escalating tensions along the Syrian-Turkish border and is warning that the risk of regional conflict and threat to international peace is increasing.
The UN chief is calling on all parties "to abandon the use of violence, exercise maximum restraint and exert all efforts to move toward a political solution," Ban`s spokesman, Martin Nesirky, said today.
Nesirky said Lakhdar Brahimi, the UN-Arab League envoy, has been in contact with Turkish and Syrian officials "to encourage an easing of tensions."
Meanwhile, the UN Security Council remains divided over Syria`s cross-border shelling that killed five Turkish civilians, with Russia opposing a strong condemnation of its Syrian ally.
US UN Ambassador Susan Rice said council experts were meeting to try to agree on a text.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday