UN chief welcomes Pope`s statement calling for peace in Syria
New York: United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed Pope Francis`s statement on Syria calling for peace based on dialogue and negotiation.
"The Secretary-General welcomes the Pope`s statement calling for peace based on dialogue and negotiation and call for a day of prayer and fast for Syria," a UN spokesperson said yesterday.
"Such gestures can make an important and helpful contribution," the spokesperson said.
Pope Francis on Sunday had invited people of all faiths to join him and the world`s Catholics in a day of prayer and fasting on September 7 to end the conflict in Syria and advocated for not expanding the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened