UN chief welcomes talks on Iran nuclear program
Tehran: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the recent talks between Iran and six powers on the former’s nuclear program, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said here on Friday.
“The Secretary-General welcomes the talks between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the E3+3 recently concluded in Baghdad," Nesirky said at a daily news briefing in response to reporters`` questions.
The talks, which took place in Baghdad on May 23-24, brought Iran together with representatives of the United States, China, France, the United Kingdom, Russia, and Germany (E3 +3) to discuss Tehran`s nuclear program.
"The Secretary-General is encouraged by the willingness of both sides to continue engaging in discussions to resolve the differences and, in that regard, welcomes the decision to hold a next round of talks in Moscow, from 18-19 June," Nesirky said.
Nesirky noted that Ban supports a political solution to the tensions over Iran`s nuclear program.
"The Secretary-General has consistently advocated a comprehensive and negotiated political solution to the Iranian nuclear issue," he said. "He strongly supports the efforts of the E3+3 in promoting dialogue and diplomacy and hopes that Iran will take the necessary measures to build and sustain international confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear program."
In doing so, Nesirky added, it is important that Iran cooperates fully with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), including on a recent agreement made between Iran and the agency during the visit of IAEA director general Yukiya Amano to the Middle East country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video