UN chief welcomes talks on Iran nuclear program
Tehran: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the recent talks between Iran and six powers on the former’s nuclear program, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said here on Friday.
“The Secretary-General welcomes the talks between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the E3+3 recently concluded in Baghdad," Nesirky said at a daily news briefing in response to reporters`` questions.
The talks, which took place in Baghdad on May 23-24, brought Iran together with representatives of the United States, China, France, the United Kingdom, Russia, and Germany (E3 +3) to discuss Tehran`s nuclear program.
"The Secretary-General is encouraged by the willingness of both sides to continue engaging in discussions to resolve the differences and, in that regard, welcomes the decision to hold a next round of talks in Moscow, from 18-19 June," Nesirky said.
Nesirky noted that Ban supports a political solution to the tensions over Iran`s nuclear program.
"The Secretary-General has consistently advocated a comprehensive and negotiated political solution to the Iranian nuclear issue," he said. "He strongly supports the efforts of the E3+3 in promoting dialogue and diplomacy and hopes that Iran will take the necessary measures to build and sustain international confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear program."
In doing so, Nesirky added, it is important that Iran cooperates fully with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), including on a recent agreement made between Iran and the agency during the visit of IAEA director general Yukiya Amano to the Middle East country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda