UN concerned over Syria violence escalation
Moscow: UN observers in Syria are worried that violence is escalating around the Syrian opposition stronghold city of Homs, the UN said.
"UN observers reported heavy fighting in Rastan and Talbiseh, north of the city, with artillery and mortar shelling, as well as firing from helicopters, machine guns and smaller arms," said UN Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) spokeswoman Sausan Ghosheh.
"In Talbiseh, UN observers reported that the Free Syrian Army have captured Syrian Army soldiers," Ghosheh said in a statement.
Heavy artillery shelling and machine gun firing were audible in downtown Homs.
According to UN estimates, over 10,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Syria and thousands displaced since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began about 15 months ago.
Ghosheh said the UNSMIS has called on all sides to stop violence and ensure that civilians are protected and international law respected.
She said the mission urges all parties to provide UNSMIS observers with immediate unrestricted access to conflict zones.
The statement came after two massacres in Syria`s Houla and Hama in May and early June that killed dozens, including women and children.
UN and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan has also expressed concern over the recent reports of violence escalation by both government and opposition forces.
US State Department officials met Russian Foreign Ministry officials in Moscow last week to try to hammer out a common position on the escalating crisis in Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview