UN concerned over Syria violence escalation
Moscow: UN observers in Syria are worried that violence is escalating around the Syrian opposition stronghold city of Homs, the UN said.
"UN observers reported heavy fighting in Rastan and Talbiseh, north of the city, with artillery and mortar shelling, as well as firing from helicopters, machine guns and smaller arms," said UN Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) spokeswoman Sausan Ghosheh.
"In Talbiseh, UN observers reported that the Free Syrian Army have captured Syrian Army soldiers," Ghosheh said in a statement.
Heavy artillery shelling and machine gun firing were audible in downtown Homs.
According to UN estimates, over 10,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Syria and thousands displaced since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began about 15 months ago.
Ghosheh said the UNSMIS has called on all sides to stop violence and ensure that civilians are protected and international law respected.
She said the mission urges all parties to provide UNSMIS observers with immediate unrestricted access to conflict zones.
The statement came after two massacres in Syria`s Houla and Hama in May and early June that killed dozens, including women and children.
UN and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan has also expressed concern over the recent reports of violence escalation by both government and opposition forces.
US State Department officials met Russian Foreign Ministry officials in Moscow last week to try to hammer out a common position on the escalating crisis in Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city