UN condemns extremist takeover of parts of Iraq
United Nations: The UN Security Council is condemning the offensive waged by the extremist Islamic State group and allied militants in Iraq, calling it "a major threat" to the country`s future.
The council stressed in a resolution adopted unanimously today extending the UN political mission in Iraq that the only way to address the threat is for political leadership "to make decisions that will unite the country."
Council members called on all political groups to overcome divisions and urged Iraq`s leaders to quickly form a government reflecting all segments of the population "that would contribute to finding a viable and sustainable solution to the country`s current challenges."
The Islamic State group now controls a vast swath of eastern Syria and western Iraq, including Iraq`s second-largest city Mosul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands