UN condemns extremist takeover of parts of Iraq
United Nations: The UN Security Council is condemning the offensive waged by the extremist Islamic State group and allied militants in Iraq, calling it "a major threat" to the country`s future.
The council stressed in a resolution adopted unanimously today extending the UN political mission in Iraq that the only way to address the threat is for political leadership "to make decisions that will unite the country."
Council members called on all political groups to overcome divisions and urged Iraq`s leaders to quickly form a government reflecting all segments of the population "that would contribute to finding a viable and sustainable solution to the country`s current challenges."
The Islamic State group now controls a vast swath of eastern Syria and western Iraq, including Iraq`s second-largest city Mosul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice