UN condemns extremist takeover of parts of Iraq
United Nations: The UN Security Council is condemning the offensive waged by the extremist Islamic State group and allied militants in Iraq, calling it "a major threat" to the country`s future.
The council stressed in a resolution adopted unanimously today extending the UN political mission in Iraq that the only way to address the threat is for political leadership "to make decisions that will unite the country."
Council members called on all political groups to overcome divisions and urged Iraq`s leaders to quickly form a government reflecting all segments of the population "that would contribute to finding a viable and sustainable solution to the country`s current challenges."
The Islamic State group now controls a vast swath of eastern Syria and western Iraq, including Iraq`s second-largest city Mosul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened