UN condemns extremist takeover of parts of Iraq
United Nations: The UN Security Council is condemning the offensive waged by the extremist Islamic State group and allied militants in Iraq, calling it "a major threat" to the country`s future.
The council stressed in a resolution adopted unanimously today extending the UN political mission in Iraq that the only way to address the threat is for political leadership "to make decisions that will unite the country."
Council members called on all political groups to overcome divisions and urged Iraq`s leaders to quickly form a government reflecting all segments of the population "that would contribute to finding a viable and sustainable solution to the country`s current challenges."
The Islamic State group now controls a vast swath of eastern Syria and western Iraq, including Iraq`s second-largest city Mosul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results