UN cuts rations for a million Zimbabweans
Harare: Around a million poverty-stricken Zimbabweans face hunger after the UN World Food Programme (WFP) announced on Tuesday it was cutting food rations due to a cash crunch.
"We`d been hoping to have scaled up our seasonal relief operations... In the coming months with distributions of food and, in some areas, cash," Tomson Phiri, WFP spokesman in Zimbabwe, said as the country enters the peak of the so-called hunger season.
But "we`ve had to cut rations for one million of our beneficiaries in recent months and there are likely to be deeper cuts as from next month," Phiri said in a statement.
At least 2.2 million people -- a quarter of Zimbabwe`s rural population -- will need food aid until the next harvest in May, according to estimates by aid agencies and government departments.
Food prices have doubled since last year, forcing many more into hardship, according to the WFP.
The UN food agency needs USD 80 million to feed hungry Zimbabweans in the next six months.
So far it has just USD 20 million and is working at raising the remaining USD 60 million, WFP regional spokesman David Orr told AFP in Johannesburg.
"Our operational funding for the next six months is about USD 80 million and so far we are only a quarter funded," said Orr.
Some of the hardest hit areas are in the west, central and southern regions of the country, Phiri said.
WFP is "very concerned about the food security situation in rural areas right now," he added.
Last week, the cash-strapped government of President Robert Mugabe said it would import 150,000 tonnes of the staple corn from neighbouring countries to avert food shortages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees