UN defends Ukraine efforts, stays mum on leak of US audio
New York: The United Nations on Friday defended its efforts to encourage a peaceful resolution to the crisis in Ukraine but declined to comment on a leaked audio recording in which a US official referred to discussing plans for Kiev with the world body.
"In the conversations we have had with Ukrainians inside and outside the government, as well as with various international actors, we have sought to help resolve the crisis," UN spokesman Farhan Haq said.
"The UN has been clear in advocating that any solution should be arrived at by Ukrainians, peacefully and through dialogue," he added.
The United Nations has been drawn into the uproar sparked by a leaked audio recording in which senior State Department official Victoria Nuland is heard using an expletive to tell the US ambassador it would be better if a new Ukrainian government is backed by the United Nations rather than the European Union.
"So that would be great, I think, to help glue this thing (in Ukraine) and to have the UN help glue it and, you know, fuck the EU," Nuland is heard saying.
US officials blame Russia for the leak.
In the recording, Nuland refers positively to a conversation she had with UN political affairs chief Jeffrey Feltman - a former senior State Department official - about an upcoming visit by a UN envoy to Ukraine.
Haq was asked about the way Nuland`s conversation suggested the United Nations was discussing plans for Ukraine with Washington.
"We can`t comment on purported leaks of the private conversations of others," Haq said. "As to the UN`s efforts in relation to the crisis in Ukraine, the secretary-general has been trying through his personal contacts and in other ways to encourage a peaceful resolution."
Haq reiterated that Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon sent UN Middle East peace Robert Serry, Netherlands` former ambassador to Ukraine, to Kiev January 28-30 "to convey the United Nations` solidarity with Ukraine and to encourage dialogue”.
Western officials described the leaks as a throwback to the cloak-and-dagger tactics of the Cold War, apparently aimed as much at sowing discord among Western allies as at discrediting the opposition in Ukraine, a country of 46 million people on the verge of bankruptcy, torn between east and west.
Non-Western delegations have often criticised UN chief Ban, a former South Korean foreign minister, for what they perceive as being too close to the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow