UN disrupting probe into Syria`s chemical weapons: Russia
Moscow: Moscow believes the UN is disrupting an investigation into the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria under pressure from "certain states", the Russian foreign ministry said.
"We cannot but make a conclusion that under the pressure of certain states the UN Secretariat has adopted an unconstructive and inconsistent stance and is basically disrupting the investigation into particular reports of the possible use of chemical weapons in Syria on March 19, which could be verified at this stage," a ministry statement said.
The foreign ministry criticised the UN move as "unacceptable and intolerable" and called on the organisation to act on the principles of "impartiality".
Syria`s authorities accused opposition militants of deploying chemical weapons in an attack near the northern city of Aleppo March 19 that state media reports said killed at least 25 people and injured more than 100.
The rebels have denied the allegation and instead accused the Syrian military of launching a Scud missile with a chemical warhead.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the UN will open an independent investigation into the alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria as soon as possible.
Russian foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said in a statement that however, later Ban Ki-moon, "under pressure from Western members of the Council", took an "unjustified step" of broadening the mandate of the mission in an effort to set as its task the investigation of all other alleged cases of chemical weapons use in Syria.
Lukashevich described Ban`s approach to the issue as "counterproductive", saying there is no information regarding any other incidents of the use of chemical weapons in Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam