UN disrupting probe into Syria`s chemical weapons: Russia
Moscow: Moscow believes the UN is disrupting an investigation into the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria under pressure from "certain states", the Russian foreign ministry said.
"We cannot but make a conclusion that under the pressure of certain states the UN Secretariat has adopted an unconstructive and inconsistent stance and is basically disrupting the investigation into particular reports of the possible use of chemical weapons in Syria on March 19, which could be verified at this stage," a ministry statement said.
The foreign ministry criticised the UN move as "unacceptable and intolerable" and called on the organisation to act on the principles of "impartiality".
Syria`s authorities accused opposition militants of deploying chemical weapons in an attack near the northern city of Aleppo March 19 that state media reports said killed at least 25 people and injured more than 100.
The rebels have denied the allegation and instead accused the Syrian military of launching a Scud missile with a chemical warhead.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the UN will open an independent investigation into the alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria as soon as possible.
Russian foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said in a statement that however, later Ban Ki-moon, "under pressure from Western members of the Council", took an "unjustified step" of broadening the mandate of the mission in an effort to set as its task the investigation of all other alleged cases of chemical weapons use in Syria.
Lukashevich described Ban`s approach to the issue as "counterproductive", saying there is no information regarding any other incidents of the use of chemical weapons in Syria.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!