UN driver shot dead in Philippines
Manila: A gunman shot dead a Filipino driver delivering rice for the United Nations in the restive southern Philippines, the agency said on Sunday.
Stephen Anderson, of the UN`s World Food Programme (WFP), said police were hunting the killer who struck outside Marawi city, where many armed groups including Islamic militants are known to operate.
"Right now we are treating this as an isolated incident," Anderson said, commenting on other press reports that blamed the separatist Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) for the killing.
Anderson said it was too early to blame any group for the attack.
The 12,000-strong MILF has been waging a decades-long rebellion for the establishment of an independent Islamic state in the southern third of the mostly Catholic country.
Anderson said the driver, whose name he did not divulge, was locally hired and not a full-time staffer in the WFP.
He said the attack looked unprovoked although the motive has yet to be established.
The killing underscores the dangers humanitarian workers face in the south, where the rebellion is complicated by a proliferation of unlicensed firearms and large clans fighting over political turf.
In December 2008, a Filipino aid worker was killed when unidentified gunman attacked a WFP convoy in the south, just three months after another convoy was stopped and its food cargo seized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand