UN envoy Kofi Annan in Syria to hold talks with Assad
Damascus: UN-Arab League joint special envoy Kofi Annan has arrived in Damascus for talks with Syrian President Bashar Assad, his spokesman said on Sunday.
Annan has arrived for a brief visit that will last for less than 24 hours, the source said on condition of anonymity, adding that Annan will also hold talks with some Syrian officials.
A statement issued by spokesman Ahmad Fawzi did not give details of Annan`s schedule in Damascus.
This is Annan`s third visit to Syria since the outbreak of the conflict.
On Saturday Annan said that the international community`s efforts to bring the 16-months unrest in Syria to an end politically have failed.
Annan made the remarks during an interview with French daily Le Monde.
"The evidence shows that we have not succeeded," he said.
He noted that the divisions between regional and world powers over how to resolve the Syrian issue were making the situation worse.
Annan is the architect of the most prominent international plan to end the 16-month crisis in Syria which activists say has left well over 14,000 people dead.
Annan`s six-point plan was to begin with a cease-fire in mid-April between government forces and rebels seeking to topple Assad but the truce never took hold.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read