UN envoy meets Suu Kyi party aides in Myanmar
Yangon: The freed deputy of Aung San Suu
Kyi`s party met a UN rights envoy in military-ruled Myanmar
on Thursday and said the release of the Nobel Peace laureate was
vital before elections, the opposition said.
UN special rapporteur Tomas Ojea Quintana held talks in
the former capital Yangon with Tin Oo, the elderly vice
chairman of Suu Kyi`s National League for Democracy (NLD), and
six other leading party members.
Myanmar`s ruling junta freed 83-year-old Tin Oo from
house arrest at the weekend. He was detained along with Suu
Kyi in 2003 after a pro-regime mob attacked their motorcade,
killing dozens of people.
"We had a free discussion with him for one hour. We
discussed the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi," Khin Maung
Swe, one of those who attended the meeting with Quintana, told
agency. Daw is a Burmese-language term of respect.
"We also said that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi should be
involved in the future politics and pointed out that (she)
should participate in national reconciliation," he said.
Quintana told the NLD members that he had asked to meet
Suu Kyi but had had no answer yet from the junta, Khin Maung
"He asked us about the election and we said that there
was no election law and we haven`t met with Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi so we haven`t decided anything yet," he added.
Myanmar`s generals have promised to hold elections this
year but have not yet set a date, adding to international
fears that the polls are a sham designed to legitimise the
regime`s hold on power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!