`UN experts say Iran sends arms to Syria`
New York: A Security Council diplomat says a report by an expert panel monitoring UN sanctions on Iran concluded that Syria continues to be the main destination of illicit Iranian weapons.
The diplomat on Wednesday said that the panel identified three new illegal shipments, two involving Syria and the third involved rockets which Britain said last year were destined for Taliban militants in Afghanistan. The diplomat spoke on condition of anonymity because the report has not been released.
The diplomat said the report to the UN Security Council committee monitoring sanctions against Iran said Tehran has been trying to evade sanctions by renaming ships to obscure their identity.
The diplomat added that, according to the report, Iran has also been using front companies, concealing the end use and end users of items, falsifying documents and using the Iranian Diaspora to procure banned items.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Here's a docu-fiction on the journey of 'Sultan'! Watch video
- Vodafone tax case: HC allows penalty proceedings to go on
- EU leaders meet without Cameron over Brexit vote
- Gareth Southgate set to become the new England manager on temporary basis
- Jumbo takes flight! Eight key quotes from Anil Kumble's first press conference as India coach