UN extends political mission in Libya
United Nations: The UN Security Council on Monday voted unanimously to extend its political mission in Libya with a mandate to support the government in promoting democracy, restoring public security, and eliminating the flood of weapons in the country especially shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles.
A resolution extending the UN mission for a year was adopted unanimously at the start of a ministerial meeting on challenges from last year`s Arab Spring.
Among those attending the meeting were US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the foreign ministers of Russia, Britain, France and Germany.
Libya celebrated the first anniversary of the start of its revolution on Feb 17, but its government faces a host of problems, first and foremost asserting authority over the country. Hundreds of armed militias that helped oust Muammar
Gaddafi are the real power on the ground, wielding control over cities, neighbourhoods and borders.
The country has been plagued by revenge attacks by those who suffered at the hands of Gaddafi`s forces during the brutal civil war that ousted the Libyan dictator after more than four decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco