UN fears dramatic rise in Somalia famine refugees
Geneva: A senior UN aid official says the
number of people leaving famine-hit areas of Somalia is likely
to rise dramatically and could overwhelm the international aid
effort in the Horn of Africa.
The UN Food and Agriculture Organization`s representative
in Kenya says the flight of Somalis toward the borders and the
capital Mogadishu "can become simply unbearable" in the coming
Luca Alinovi says there is clear evidence that thousands
are trying to leave their homes in the south and center of the
Alinovi told reporters in Geneva by phone today that "the
possibility is basically having everybody who lives in that
area moving out, which would be a disaster."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30