UN fears dramatic rise in Somalia famine refugees
Geneva: A senior UN aid official says the
number of people leaving famine-hit areas of Somalia is likely
to rise dramatically and could overwhelm the international aid
effort in the Horn of Africa.
The UN Food and Agriculture Organization`s representative
in Kenya says the flight of Somalis toward the borders and the
capital Mogadishu "can become simply unbearable" in the coming
Luca Alinovi says there is clear evidence that thousands
are trying to leave their homes in the south and center of the
Alinovi told reporters in Geneva by phone today that "the
possibility is basically having everybody who lives in that
area moving out, which would be a disaster."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?