UN General Assembly declares Crimea secession vote invalid
New York: The UN General Assembly Thursday adopted a resolution reaffirming Ukraine`s territorial integrity and calling as "illegal" the referendum that led to Russia`s annexation of Crimea.
The resolution in the 193-member UNGA got 100 votes in its favour, while nations 11 voted against and 58 countries, including India, abstained.
The draft resolution, titled `Territorial integrity of Ukraine` was co-sponsored by Canada, Costa Rica, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine and the US.
It affirmed its commitment to the "sovereignty, political independence, unity and territorial integrity of Ukraine within its internationally recognised borders."
The resolution underscored that the March 16 referendum held in Crimea and the city of Sevastopol has "no validity" and "cannot form the basis for any alteration of the status of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea or of the city of Sevastopol."
It also called on member states, international organisations and specialised agencies not to recognise any alteration of the status of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol on the basis of the referendum and to "refrain from any action or dealing that might be interpreted as recognising any such altered status."
Unlike resolutions in the powerful Security Council, resolutions in the 193-member General Assembly cannot be vetoed and are not legally binding, though they do reflect world opinion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing