UN General Assembly declares Crimea secession vote invalid
New York: The UN General Assembly Thursday adopted a resolution reaffirming Ukraine`s territorial integrity and calling as "illegal" the referendum that led to Russia`s annexation of Crimea.
The resolution in the 193-member UNGA got 100 votes in its favour, while nations 11 voted against and 58 countries, including India, abstained.
The draft resolution, titled `Territorial integrity of Ukraine` was co-sponsored by Canada, Costa Rica, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine and the US.
It affirmed its commitment to the "sovereignty, political independence, unity and territorial integrity of Ukraine within its internationally recognised borders."
The resolution underscored that the March 16 referendum held in Crimea and the city of Sevastopol has "no validity" and "cannot form the basis for any alteration of the status of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea or of the city of Sevastopol."
It also called on member states, international organisations and specialised agencies not to recognise any alteration of the status of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol on the basis of the referendum and to "refrain from any action or dealing that might be interpreted as recognising any such altered status."
Unlike resolutions in the powerful Security Council, resolutions in the 193-member General Assembly cannot be vetoed and are not legally binding, though they do reflect world opinion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof