UN gives Suu Kyi non violence prize awarded in 2002
Yangon: The UN has given Aung San Suu Kyi a
10-year-old peace award delayed by her long house arrest.
A UN official visiting Myanmar presented Suu Kyi with its
Mandanjeet Singh Prize for the Promotion of Tolerance and
The prize is named after an Indian writer and
Myanmar`s former ruling junta had Suu Kyi under house
arrest when she was named for the prize in 2002.
The Paris-based UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural
Organisation said in a statement that its chief Ryuhei Hosoya
delivered the prize.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi