UN hopes China will use influence on North Korea
Beijing: The UN deputy chief says he hopes that China will exercise its influence over North Korea to bring Pyongyang back to talks and discourage the regime from further escalating tensions after it conducted a nuclear test last week.
Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson told reporters in Beijing that Chinese officials who met with him expressed that "they will do what they can but that we should not exaggerate their influence" over the North.
China is seen as the only major power with any real influence on North Korea as it pursues nuclear weapons. It provides North Korea with fuel, food and investment.
But Beijing has been reluctant to act against a neighbour it sees as a valuable buffer between US troops stationed in South Korea and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'