UN hopes China will use influence on North Korea
Beijing: The UN deputy chief says he hopes that China will exercise its influence over North Korea to bring Pyongyang back to talks and discourage the regime from further escalating tensions after it conducted a nuclear test last week.
Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson told reporters in Beijing that Chinese officials who met with him expressed that "they will do what they can but that we should not exaggerate their influence" over the North.
China is seen as the only major power with any real influence on North Korea as it pursues nuclear weapons. It provides North Korea with fuel, food and investment.
But Beijing has been reluctant to act against a neighbour it sees as a valuable buffer between US troops stationed in South Korea and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan