UN hopes China will use influence on North Korea
Beijing: The UN deputy chief says he hopes that China will exercise its influence over North Korea to bring Pyongyang back to talks and discourage the regime from further escalating tensions after it conducted a nuclear test last week.
Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson told reporters in Beijing that Chinese officials who met with him expressed that "they will do what they can but that we should not exaggerate their influence" over the North.
China is seen as the only major power with any real influence on North Korea as it pursues nuclear weapons. It provides North Korea with fuel, food and investment.
But Beijing has been reluctant to act against a neighbour it sees as a valuable buffer between US troops stationed in South Korea and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video