UN imposes sanctions on three North Korean firms
Washington: The United Nations Security Council has imposed sanctions on three significant North Korean state-owned companies over the country’s failed rocket launch last month.
The council’s sanctions committee named the three blacklisted companies as Green Pine Conglomerate, Amroggang Development Banking Corporation and Korea Heungjin Trading Company.
The UN has decided to freeze the assets of the firms and ban them from global trade, the BBC reports.
In addition, the sanctions committee approved extra items and technology that would be prohibited for transfer to or from North Korea, updating its lists dealing with Pyongyang`s missiles and nuclear related material.
According to the report, US envoy to the UN Susan Rice hailed the decision, saying it ‘constitutes a serious and credible response to North Korea`s provocation’.
“These measures will increase North Korea`s isolation and make it harder for Pyongyang to move forward with its illicit programmes,” Rice said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh