UN inspectors reach Syria gas attack site, collect samples
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Damascus: Despite coming under fire by the unidentified snipers on Monday, the United Nations weapons inspectors reached the chemical attack site in Damascus. The inspectors there met the victims of the suspected gas attack and took sample from them.
Earlier today, the inspectors survived an attack by the snipers on the UN convoy that hit one of their vehicles. The UN said that a vehicle in its convoy was damaged by the firing but didn’t mention if anyone was injured.
Even after the attack, the UN said that they will continue the investigation into the gas attack in Damascus in which hundreds of people lost their lives.
Also today, two mortar bombs struck a Damascus district where the UN inspectors where staying.
Syrian government though blamed rebel forces for the attacks on the UN team.
Amid all the accusation by the western powers of the usage of chemical weapons by the Syrian government, President Bashar al-Assad rubbished the reports and warned the US against any military intervention.
Syria on Sunday gave nod the UN inspectors to visit the sites. The US said that the offer to let the inspectors probe the site came too late as evidences probably have been destroyed by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital