UN inspectors to conduct more checks on Iran uranium plant
Tehran: UN inspectors are expected to
conduct more checks on Iran`s controversial second uranium
enrichment plant today, the second day of their visit to the
The four-member team of inspectors from the International
Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) arrived in Tehran yesterday and
later headed to the plant being built inside a mountain near
the Shiite holy city of Qom.
Iranian officials have previously said the facility is
created adjacent to a military base south of the capital and
hence is heavily guarded in case of any air strike by
arch-foes US or Israel.
Ali Shirzadian, the spokesman of Iran`s atomic body,
confirmed to agencies that the UN team had inspected the plant
The Mehr news agency meanwhile reported that the UN team
will make several visits to the plant during their three-day
stay in Iran.
The inspectors are checking the plant to verify whether
the facility was designed for peaceful nuclear purposes.
The disclosure by Tehran of its existence on September 21
triggered widespread outrage in the West, which suspects Iran
is enriching uranium with an ultimate goal of using it to make
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?