UN investigator claims Pak Army chief Kayani doubted Taliban role in Bhutto`s assassination
Islamabad: United Nations (UN) Assistant Secretary General Heraldo Munoz has said that Pakistan`s Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani suspected the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) having assassinated former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
Munoz believes that former President General Pervez Musharraf might have had a hand in facilitating Bhutto`s assassination by ignoring her security needs after their political deal went sour, the Dawn reports.
Munoz had headed the UN Commission of Inquiry into the assassination of Bhutto. He was appointed by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on the request of the Pakistan government in July 2009.
An article published from Munoz`s upcoming book, `Getting away with the murder - Behind the Investigation of Benazir Bhutto`s Assassination` has reportedly expressed fears that the murder would remain unsolved because of absence of both capacity and willingness of the government and courts to solve the case.
The UN investigator has recounted his meetings with General Kayani and then ISI director general Lt Gen Shuja Pasha in the article.
Bhutto was assassinated in a gun-and-bomb attack outside Rawalpindi`s Liaquat Bagh on December 27, 2007, while Musharraf was president.
Munoz further added that the involvement of intelligence operatives in Bhutto`s murder and later covering up of evidence also cannot be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India