UN investigator claims Pak Army chief Kayani doubted Taliban role in Bhutto`s assassination
Islamabad: United Nations (UN) Assistant Secretary General Heraldo Munoz has said that Pakistan`s Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani suspected the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) having assassinated former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
Munoz believes that former President General Pervez Musharraf might have had a hand in facilitating Bhutto`s assassination by ignoring her security needs after their political deal went sour, the Dawn reports.
Munoz had headed the UN Commission of Inquiry into the assassination of Bhutto. He was appointed by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on the request of the Pakistan government in July 2009.
An article published from Munoz`s upcoming book, `Getting away with the murder - Behind the Investigation of Benazir Bhutto`s Assassination` has reportedly expressed fears that the murder would remain unsolved because of absence of both capacity and willingness of the government and courts to solve the case.
The UN investigator has recounted his meetings with General Kayani and then ISI director general Lt Gen Shuja Pasha in the article.
Bhutto was assassinated in a gun-and-bomb attack outside Rawalpindi`s Liaquat Bagh on December 27, 2007, while Musharraf was president.
Munoz further added that the involvement of intelligence operatives in Bhutto`s murder and later covering up of evidence also cannot be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire