UN keeps Ivory Coast peacekeeper reinforcements
United Nations: The UN Security Council
voted unanimously on Friday to keep the 10,000 strong UN
peacekeeping force in Ivory Coast while the new government
regains control of the West African country.
After the victory of internationally recognised
president Alassane Ouattara in a deadly power struggle with
Laurent Gbagbo, the Security Council extended the peacekeeping
force`s mandate until July 31.
In that time, a UN mission will draw up
recommendations on Ivory Coast`s longer term security needs.
The UN sent in hundreds of reinforcements as unrest
erupted after the November 28 presidential election, in which
incumbent Gbagbo refused to acknowledge his defeat. They will
stay at least for the new extension.
Ivory Coast`s UN ambassador, Youssoufou Bamba, told
the Security Council the country "is gradually emerging from
this crisis." But he added that the security situation remains
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world