UN lawyer leading drones praises Obama`s speech as `significant`
London: Ben Emmerson, the lawyer leading a UN drone inquiry, has praised President Barack Obama`s speech as a significant step towards increased transparency.
Emmerson said Obama had set out more clearly than ever before the legal justifications for targeted killing.
According to the BBC, Emmerson, a United Nations human rights special rapporteur, launched an inquiry into drones in January, saying their use represents a real challenge to the framework of international law.
In a statement, he said Obama`s speech had broken new ground on a number of issues, adding that it sets out more clearly and more authoritatively than ever before the administration`s legal justifications for targeted killing, and the constraints that it operates under.
In his speech, Obama pledged to continue strikes, but with tighter oversight of the programme and stricter targeting rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan