UN observes World Refugee Day
New York: The UN has observed the World Refugee Day on Wednesday.
"As in past years, landmarks around the world are being illuminated in United Nations blue," UN spokesman Martin Nesirky told reporters here on Wednesday at a news briefing.
"(Those include) the Colosseum in Rome, the Empire State Building in New York, and the CN Tower in Toronto," Xinhua quoted him as saying.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a statement: "World Refugee Day is a moment to remember all those affected, and time to intensify our support."
An estimated 42 million people are displaced from their homes worldwide.
Recent reports from the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) estimate that about 800,000 people were forced to forcibly flee their homes in 2011.
According to the agency, this is the largest amount of displaced people they have seen since the first World Refugee Day was observed in 2000.
The UN chief noted that some refugees are facing decades of exile.
"Kenya`s third biggest city is a refugee camp, and hosts over half a million Somalis, many in their third decade of exile," said the UN chief in the statement issued by his office.
"Niger, Mauritania, and Burkina Faso -- suffering famine and drought -- now host some 175,000 refugees fleeing conflict in Mali."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested