UN official meets Syrian reconciliation minister
Damascus: Canadian diplomat Mokhtar Lamani heads the Damascus office of UN envoy for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi, met Sunday with Syrian Minister of National Reconciliation Ali Haidar.
After the meeting, Lamani said he discussed with Haidar the aspects of the Syrian crisis, internally and regionally.
He said he visited the central city of Homs on Saturday to "have an overview at the rate of destruction."
He also said he got in contact with a number of armed opposition figures in Homs, adding that he will continue such liaisons with all parties of the Syrian conflict.
Brahimi took over the post of UN-Arab League joint envoy for Syria last month, succeeding Kofi Annan, who resigned in frustration over the failed efforts to end the Syrian crisis, which activists say has claimed 23,000 to 26,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka