UN official meets Syrian reconciliation minister
Damascus: Canadian diplomat Mokhtar Lamani heads the Damascus office of UN envoy for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi, met Sunday with Syrian Minister of National Reconciliation Ali Haidar.
After the meeting, Lamani said he discussed with Haidar the aspects of the Syrian crisis, internally and regionally.
He said he visited the central city of Homs on Saturday to "have an overview at the rate of destruction."
He also said he got in contact with a number of armed opposition figures in Homs, adding that he will continue such liaisons with all parties of the Syrian conflict.
Brahimi took over the post of UN-Arab League joint envoy for Syria last month, succeeding Kofi Annan, who resigned in frustration over the failed efforts to end the Syrian crisis, which activists say has claimed 23,000 to 26,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him