UN okays creation of super-agency for women
United Nations: The UN General Assembly, moving to close the body`s gender gap, today agreed to set up a powerful new department consolidating the activities of
several existing bodies dealing with women`s issues.
The 192-member assembly adopted by consensus a resolution backing formation of the new composite entity, which will have a substantial budget, be led by an undersecretary general and will report directly to the UN secretary general "on the basis of equitable geographical representation and gender balance."
The resolution tasked the UN chief to "produce, for the consideration of the General Assembly at its 64th session, a comprehensive proposal specifying the mission statement of the composite entity, the organisational arrangements, including an organisational chart, funding and the composition of the executive board to oversee its operational activities."
Currently, women`s issues are dealt with separately by several UN bodies, including the UN Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), the UN Population Fund (UNFPA), the Division for the Advancement of Women (DAW), the Office of the Special Advisor
on Gender Issues (OSAGI) and the International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women (INSTRAW).
UNIFEM welcomed the assembly`s decision as "an important step toward addressing the gaps and challenges in the existing UN gender architecture."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand