UN plane crash in DR Congo kills 26: Official
United Nations: A small passenger plane carrying UN staff members crashed Monday in Congo and broke into pieces, killing at least 26 people aboard, a United Nations spokesman said.
UN peacekeeping spokesman Nick Birnback said that the death toll could rise. He said the plane was carrying an assortment of UN staff, including peacekeepers.
The cause of the crash was not immediately known.
The UN mission in Congo, known as MONUSCO, includes more than 19,000 uniformed peacekeeping troops. The mission is charged with protecting civilians in the conflict-torn country from violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, including all forms of sexual and gender-based violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP