UN plane crash in DR Congo kills 26: Official
United Nations: A small passenger plane carrying UN staff members crashed Monday in Congo and broke into pieces, killing at least 26 people aboard, a United Nations spokesman said.
UN peacekeeping spokesman Nick Birnback said that the death toll could rise. He said the plane was carrying an assortment of UN staff, including peacekeepers.
The cause of the crash was not immediately known.
The UN mission in Congo, known as MONUSCO, includes more than 19,000 uniformed peacekeeping troops. The mission is charged with protecting civilians in the conflict-torn country from violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, including all forms of sexual and gender-based violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media