UN refugee agency expands presence in Syria
United Nations: The UN refugee agency has opened a field office and warehouse in Syrian city of Sweida to expand the reach of its humanitarian efforts for thousands of internally displaced civilians, a UN spokesperson said Thursday.
A convoy of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Wednesday crossed the border from Jordan.
It made its way to the nearby city of Sweida with 25,000 blankets, 10,000 sleeping mats, 2,500 kitchen sets, 2,000 plastic sheets and 5,000 jerry cans from warehouses in Amman, Stephane Dujarric, Xinhua quoted the UN spokesperson as saying at a daily news briefing here.
The aid will be distributed to the neediest among an estimated 550,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) living in the neighbouring governorates of Sweida and Dara`a, said Dujarric.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon