UN reinforcing troops in Congo`s east
Kinshasa: A representative in Congo says the United Nations is sending more peacekeepers to Goma and other cities in the North Kivu province to help prevent rebel attacks.
Roger Meece, special representative of the UN secretary-general and head of the UN mission in Congo, said today that they are coordinating with the Congolese Army to protect major cities.
Julien Paluku, governor of North Kivu, says Congo`s soldiers have regained control of Rutshuru, which the rebels took over the weekend but then left for negotiations.
The M23 rebel movement has also released a statement saying they`ve appointed a political coordinator for their movement.
On Sunday the head of the M23 rebels told reporters that they planned to leave all the towns they recently took except Bunagana, a strategic mineral trading post at the border with Uganda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!