UN report will confirm Syria chemical weapons use: Ban Ki-moon
United Nations: UN experts will confirm in a report to be released next week that chemical weapons were used in an attack near Damascus, UN leader Ban Ki-moon predicted on Friday.
"I believe the report will be an overwhelming report that the chemical weapons was used," said Ban, who also launched a new outspoken attack on Syria`s President Bashar al-Assad.
Ban also gave a UN estimate that 1,400 people were killed in an August 21 attack which led to western threats of a military strike on Assad`s forces.
UN inspectors were in Syria to launch an investigation into the general use of chemical weapons in the country`s 30-month-old conflict when the suspected sarin gas attack on Ghouta near Damascus took place.
The United States, Britain and France blame Assad`s forces for the attack. The Syrian government, backed by Russia, say opposition rebels used the banned gas.
UN investigation leader Ake Sellstrom is expected to send his report to Ban on Monday. So far no details of his inquiry have been given. Sellstrom is not allowed to say in the report who carried out the attack.
Ban did not blame Assad`s government for the Ghouta assault but said the Syrian leader has "carried out many crimes against humanity."
The UN leader insisted that there has to be "accountability" once the war is over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble