UN rights commissioner begins Tunis visit
Tunis: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay arrived in Tunis on Wednesday to pledge support for the country`s democratic transition and open a new UN human rights office.
It is the first office in a North African country bordering the Mediterranean, Pillay`s office said, its establishment the result of discussions prompted by the ouster of Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.
Tunisia`s Foreign Minister Mohamed Mouldi Kefi welcomed Pillay at Tunis-Carthage airport as the commissioner began a two-day visit.
Kefi and Pillay will sign a `host country agreement` before the commissioner meets Prime Minister Beji Caid Essebsi on Thursday for the opening of the new office in the capital.
Pillay sent a mission to Tunisia in January after a popular uprising led to the end of Ben Ali`s 23-year rule. Discussions about setting up an office in the country began soon after.
The commissioner will pledge her support for efforts to bring about successful democratic transition and the embedding of strong human rights protections in the law and official practices, Pillay`s office said.
"There have already been a number of positive developments in the human rights field since the fall of the Ben Ali government, including ratification of key international human rights treaties, preparations for elections, and the establishment of greater freedom for the population," the statement said. Tunisia last month became the first north African country to recognise the International Criminal Court (ICC).
It is the fourth member of the Arab League to do so, after Djibouti, the Comoros and Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan