UN rights council orders extension of Syria probe
Geneva: The UN Human Rights Council ordered on Friday an extension of a probe into violations in Syria, asking investigators to map out abuses since a deadly crackdown on protests in the country erupted a year ago.
The resolution was passed by the 47-member state council
with 41 votes in favour, two abstentions and three -- Russia,
China and Cuba -- against.
"The Syrian authorities have manifestly failed in their
responsibility to protect the Syrian population, and have
committed gross human rights violations which may amount to
crimes against humanity," said a Danish envoy on behalf of the
European Union while presenting the resolution.
"Therefore, this resolution focuses on accountability for
human rights violations committed by the Syrian authorities.
Perpetrators must be held to account," he added.
"Given the gravity of the situation, we have no choice
but to extend the mandate of the commission of inquiry."
A commission of inquiry dispatched by the council said in
February it had handed to the UN rights chief a list of regime
officials suspected of crimes against humanity.
It also documented a "widespread and systematic pattern
of gross violations" committed by Syrian forces.
The resolution today asked the commission to continue
reporting back about the situation during the council`s June
As part of its mandate to catalogue abuses, the
investigators were also asked for "assessment of casualty
figures" that should be published periodically.
Syria`s envoy angrily rejected the resolution, saying it
"reflects a politicisation and a biased viewpoint" of the
Monitors say more than 9,100 people have been killed in
the unrest that started with peaceful protests in March 2011
before turning into an armed revolt, faced with a brutal
crackdown which has cost dozens of lives each day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof